Friday, June 5, 2015

the robbery

you make a turn down
a dark alley
where a man appears
with a gleaming long knife
and says, give me all
of your money.
sure, you say, just
don't stab me.
I don't like pain,
and i'm not ready to die.
I faint when I see blood,
especially if it's coming
out of me.
look, I have a ten
and some ones. is
that enough to save
my life. no wallet?
he says, no cell phone?
you hand him your cell phone.
what is that, a Samsung 4,
good god man.
do you know that phone is
over two years old. I bet
you don't even have any
good apps on there, do you?
give me your car keys.
you give him everything.
he opens the wallet
and takes out your
library card.
what the hell is this
he says. who goes
to the library anymore,
ain't you heard of
the internet. yes. you
say. sure, but I like
the feel of books in my
hand. the printed words,
the ink, the hard back
copy. haven't you ever
heard of kindles? he says,
grimacing at my lack
of modern day devices.
what's wrong with you?
he puts the knife down
and shakes the wallet.
no credit cards?
no pictures of a girlfriend,
a wife, some sort of family.
not even a dog? wow.
here, take everything back.
I can't rob you.
just give me the ten.

No comments: