Sunday, June 14, 2015

protesters

let's go protest down
at the white house,
your friend laura suggests
while painting black nail polish
on her nails.
she adjusts the stick pin
in her eye brow.
come on, it'll be fun.
make some signs, walk around
and be annoying. scream and yell,
like we used to do back in the day.
we haven't been arrested
or even tear gassed in ages.
what should we protest?
I think we've done everything.
war, abortion, immigration,
jobs, the government.
animal rights. wall street.
save the whales.
I don't know, she says, there
must be something else
we can get worked up about.
how about coffee prices,
do you know what a grande
vanilla bean frappuccino is these days?
I don't know, you tell her.
it's really hot out and there's
a big game coming on tv.
plus my knee hurts.
we could go up to the store,
get some food and drinks
and come back to watch the game.
yeah, okay. I guess so.
i'm kind of tired anyway.
plus, I've got a load of clothes
in the washer,
but next weekend, let's find
a new cause and do it.
you're on, you tell her.
next weekend.


No comments: