Wednesday, May 6, 2015

the ceiing crack

he greets you with a smile,
adjusting his false teeth
which protrude out
under his mustache circa
nineteen seventy five.
cigarette, he says, tapping
on his pack, then points
to the ceiling
where the water leak has been.
the hippies upstairs
over flowed the tub, he says,
and shakes his head.
all night they practice
their banjos and guitars,
never playing a single song.
just picking and practicing.
how much, he says, lighting
his cigarette and blowing smoke
towards the yellow crack
that crosses his ceiling.
how much to fix and repair
that? I can do the painting.
I think they had a party
in the tub, the other night.
I saw them come over carrying
in their wine. I was
out on the patio
grilling meat, which they
hate. but it's too bad.
I like to eat meat. I like
to grill my meat. too
bad if they can smell it
up there hell, I can
smell the dope they're
smoking, so it's only fair.
so what do you think?
can you fix the crack, make
it go away? I can do
the painting.

No comments: