Tuesday, March 24, 2015

i'm depressed

i'm depressed, she says.
men have it easy.
no one cares what they look
like. but look at me,
i'm fat and old. my fortieth
high school reunion is
coming up and I don't have
the money for botox or fillers.
I've got varicose
veins, and liver spots.
just take me out back
like and old cow and shoot me.
what? you say, flipping
through an enquirer
magazine with an anonymous
large butt on the front.
who does this look
like? you ask her, turning
the photo to her. I don't know.
me? she says, it looks
like me.
oh stop, you look great.
we all could use
to lose a few pounds here
and there.
she takes a bite of
her scone, brushing the crumbs
off her green
reflective running vest.
even this stupid vest is tight.
it's chaffing my breasts.
I need to join a gym
maybe. start doing some
hot yoga, get someone to hold
my feet while I do some crunches.
she sets her scone down,
then picks it up again.
here, she says, do you
want this, sure you say.
grabbing it from
her hand. cinnamon?

No comments: