Monday, November 24, 2014

eggs over easy

I feel like I'm coming
out of my shell
after breaking up with
Charlie, she tells
you getting out of
the shower. you hand
her a towel and a cup
of coffee.
Charlie kept me from
being myself, she
says, drying herself
with the towel.
we never laughed at
the same things, never
were on the same page,
you know what I mean.
it was always awkward.
you nod, as you brush
your teeth in
the shared mirror.
you know how I like my
coffee, she says sipping,
perfect. why can't
I fall in love with
a man like you?
someone who can fix
me coffee?
you shrug your shoulders
and spit into the sink,
dunno, you say,
then take the bottle
of Listerine to gargle.
it burns your throat
and eyes, then you spit
that out too.
I miss him, though,
she says. in some weird
way we were a couple.
you try not to roll
your eyes as you
check your teeth out
in the mirror. he's
texting me right now,
she says lifting her
phone off the toilet.
should I call him?
sure, you say, maybe
you can work things out.
I'm going down to fix
breakfast...over easy,
toast? yes, she says,
you are the best. then
she dials up Charlie.


No comments: