Monday, July 14, 2014

the quiet car

let's take
the quiet car
in the train she
says. no cell phones,
no lap tops pinging,
no talking.
just us together
with a good book
and holding hands.
but as soon as you settle
into your seats
and the train begins to
move she whispers.
it's so quiet in here,
isn't it? don't you
love this, you nod yes.
I can't believe it.
no one is talking,
all these people and
no one saying a single
word. look around,
not one person is
jabbering. can you
believe this. where
on earth can you go
where no one is talking.
it's like we are in
a monastery. I'm so happy
to be in the quiet
car with you. I love
you pooksie. you look at her
and put your fingers
to your lips. shhhh.
you say. but I just
said that I love you.
don't you have a response
for that?
a green tennis
ball comes flying
from the back of the car
and hits her on the head.
momentarily you are
saved, but the car
will no longer be
quiet for the rest
of the trip.

No comments: