Monday, June 16, 2014

the red blemish

I think a bug
bit me
you tell your doctor
as he examines
your arm.
he touches the red
spot and says
oh my, let
me get the nurse
in here. do you
have insurance
or lots of cash
in the bank?
yes and yes, you
say slowly, staring
at his finger
poking the raised
red blemish
on your arm.
I think it's just
a mosquito bite
he says, putting
on a pair of crazy
mad scientist
glasses to look
even closer, but we
need to run some
tests on it just
to make sure.
if you had a hundred
of these all over
your body I'd be
worried, but for right
now, I just see this one.
hold still,
this might hurt
a little.
he scrapes off a
piece of skin
and puts it in a
petri dish.
he hands it to the nurse
who winks at
you and leaves
the room.
we'll get back to
you in a few weeks
with the results
the doctor says.
you can get dressed
now, then he yells out,
Next!

No comments: