Tuesday, May 20, 2014

the estimate

come in, sit down,
the man says.
can I fix you some
tea, perhaps a cold
glass of water
with lemon.
he states the obvious
that he is from
india, folding
his brown hands
across the white
linen table cloth.
I am happy, he says,
that you have taken
the time to come
and see me.
we are not poor,
but we are not rich
either, he says.
this house, this land
was worked for.
nothing was given
to us. I know
you will be fair
with what business
we do together.
tell me, how much.
no, don't tell me.
write it down
and I will look at
it later. I'm sure
it will be a favorable
estimate for the both
of us. I look
forward to your
services in our home.
we are not poor, but
we are not rich
either. please,
remember that
when you add and
subtract the numbers
towards your fee.

No comments: