Wednesday, March 26, 2014

the worst has happeed

lucy calls you
at eight a.m.
you can hear the clink
of a martini
glass against the phone.
she's crying.
what else is new.
what, you say.
what's wrong?
everything, she says,
sobbing.
everything is wrong.
my life is in
ruins.
are you drinking
already. it's only
eight.
I've been up all night,
she says.
I have circles
under my eyes.
I can't believe what
happened.
what, what, you say.
tell me.
the Nordstrom shoe
sale is over.
I missed it, I can't
believe I missed
it. it's the spring
extravaganza and
I missed it.
you can hear her shaking
the newspaper pages
in her hand.
okay, okay. calm down.
i'll be over later.
we can get through this
together.
take the day off
put a warm wash rag
on your forehead.
take two aspirins and
i'll call you later.
okay. okay, she sobs.
thank you,
you are the best.
thank you.

No comments: