Wednesday, March 5, 2014

tax deductible

a telemarketer calls you
in the middle of the day
and asks for a donation
for the fallen and still
missing soldiers of the civil
war. but, you say, clearing
your throat, wasn't that
over a hundred and fifty
years ago? ummm, let me check
on that with my manager,
says the young woman,
snapping her gum into the phone.
hey Betty, Betty,
she yells out across the room.
this man here has a question.
do you know when the civil
war was? yes, I guess he
means the American civil war.
right sir? she asks.
yes. you say. that would
be the one.
you hear a voice whisper
hmmm, good question,
I'm not sure. I could google
it, then someone says,
in the 60's. yeah, it
has to be in the 60's. I think.
she comes back onto the
phone. sir, I'm doing
the math right now,
and it was only
fifty years ago, so yes
there are some civil war
veterans that need your
help. how much would you
like to donate this year?
oh, and by the way,
it's tax deductible.
we'll also send you a
waterproof flag bumper sticker
as an appreciation
of your donation.
is the bumper sticker
of an American flag? you
ask. hold on one second sir.
Betty, hey Betty, he's got
another question, is
the bumper sticker
American, with the stripes
and stuff?

No comments: