Monday, October 7, 2013

i think i might be pregnant

I think I might
be pregnant
she says on the phone,
as you sit
on the basement
stairs
with the stretched
out black
cord from
the kitchen wall.
this makes you stop
talking.
you begin to sweat
and untie
the laces of
your grass stained
sneakers.
what, you say.
why are you telling
me this. we've
never done
anything, have we?
we came close, she
says. that time at
the drive in.
maybe some
got in. impossible
you say, trying to
recall all of your
biology knowledge
learned
from your father's
magazines, hidden
lazily
under his bed.
maybe you've eaten
something bad
and it's doing
something to your system.
remember, we had
that Mexican food
the other day?
maybe she says.
i'm probably not, but
I just thought i'd
tell you since we
are best friends
and all. well, okay.
but I have to go now,
I have homework to do.
you tell her, banging
hard on the steps,
my mother needs to
use the phone anyway,
she's knocking
on the door.

No comments: