Thursday, May 23, 2013

waiting not listening

but there's more
to the story
you tell her, as
she tries to begin
her story.
you place your hand
on her hand
to stop her lips
from moving,
oh, she says, I
thought you were
finished, no, you
say, you always
start talking before
I finish, it's what
you do. you don't
listen, you wait,
and you are not
very patient when
others are talking.
oh my, she says,
leaning back,
and making her eyes
wide and big.
she puts her hand
over her mouth
and says, do I do
that, really,
because there was
this one time
when I was taking
to someone and...
see, you tell her,
you're doing it
again. you can't help
yourself. you really
don't care what
my story is, do you?
i'm leaving, she
says. you're right.
I don't care. in
fact, your stories
are boring, unless
it involves me. let's
not talk for awhile,
she says, gathering
her things to leave.
what, you say.
I didn't hear you.

No comments: