Wednesday, May 22, 2013

promoting licorice

you get a phone call
to tell you that you've
been named the poet
laureate of
the nation.
you say thanks. but
what happened to
the other guy? he
had his turn and now
it's yours.
that's wonderful,
you say, as you make
a peanut butter
sandwich while standing
in the kitchen.
do I get a check, or
something. I could
use a little
dough right about
now.
yes, she says, you'll
get a small check.
great, you tell the nice
woman on the phone,
make it out to me
so that I can cash
it, okay? I've got
a few bar tabs that need
to be taken care of
before they cut me off.
sure she says politely.
but we want you to
come downtown
and accept your award
at the library of congress,
give a speech
and respond to questions.
do I have to wear a suit?
ummm, sure, dress nice.
you'll be asked to
travel the country
speaking on behalf
of poetry to children
and adults too.
you can read your poetry
on npr. sell some books.
poetry is our national
treasure and it's good
to have a spokesman
such as yourself.
i'm not good at speaking
in public you tell her,
blowing your nose
from all the pollen
that's fallen lately,
or at reading my poetry.
oh, you'll be fine.
but people hate poetry,
or they're ambivalent
about it, it will be
like promoting black
licorice. that's funny
she says, snorting into
the phone.
you'll do fine. okay, okay,
you tell her, but look,
I have to go, I was
in the middle of something.
i was writing a poem about
my dog who
just got into the trash
again. maybe i'll
read that poem for you.
oh and don't forget to make
the check out to me,
okay? or just bring cash.
either way is fine.
thanks again. gotta go.

1 comment:

Sara Leigh said...

I think it's easier to promote black licorice.