Wednesday, April 3, 2013

don't i know you

I know you, don't
I, the grocery store
clerk says
as he rings
up your items
from the moving
black belt.
you used to be somebody,
didn't you.
weren't you on
tv back in the eighties?
you look like
that cop, that
cop who's always
getting into
trouble, but finds
his way out
at the last second
using a bobby pin,
or a wad of gum.
but he had lots of hair
and you don't.
at least not now.
not me you say,
watching as he
pushes your potatoes
and toilet
paper to the bagging
area. sorry, not
me. I see you're
buying a lot of
generic brands, he
smirks, holding
a can of tuna up
to the light
looking for the bar
code. so what, you
tell him. mind
your own business
and ring me up, I
have to get out of
here. lots of pills
and vitamins, he says,
hmm. hmm.
moving the over 50 multi
vitamins through
the red light.
kid, see my hand
in my jacket, well
it's not just my hand
okay? now shut up and
ring me up. I don't
want to hurt you.
oh my, all you old
guys are testy today.
okay, okay. 79.24.
do you have any coupons?
club card perhaps?

No comments: