Thursday, August 2, 2012

summer olympics

after watching
one hundred and
thirty seven consectutive
hours of the olympics
i changed.
i became a different
person. i found myself
crying over the smallest
of stumbles
as i bent over to tie
my shoes, losing
my balance. when
i swam across
the community pool
and tried to hold my
breath the entire way,
but couldn't reach
the other side
because a  kid
was in the way
i broke down and threw
my hands skyward
with sorrow.
i sobbed over
being unable to reach
a box of rice
on the top shelf with
one quick jumping movement.
i hugged my mailman
when he threw me a package
and caught it. i hugged
the clerk at the 7 11
after using the counter as
a pommel horse.
i high fived everyone at
the metro stop. everyone,
when the train was on time.
i even hugged
my neighbor who
doesn't like me, but
it was a cold hug, like
the gymnasts do.
if i ran and missed the bus,
i bent over
and shook my head,
holding my hands
over my face, heaving
with despair thinking about
how disappointed my
parents must be,
whoever they are. but
there was glory too.
if i found my missing
car keys, or opened
the mail without a papercut,
or pulled the cupcakes
out of the oven
just in time, i jumped
for joy, pounding my
chest, smiling so
hard my teeth
were bursting like
chiclets from my mouth.

No comments: