Thursday, April 21, 2011

addictions

she wanted me
to go to a meeting
with her.
AA. she had gotten
a whiff of my
mai tai as we sat
and ate crispy beef
and egg rolls and
was feeling tempted.
she needed a meeting
to get her out of
this mood. can
you go with me,
she asked and i said,
huh. why me. i don't
have a drinking
problem. i finished
my drink and nodded
to the waitress
for one more.
i need to go, she
said. you should come too.
they have great desserts.
chocolate cake. i
looked up at her
and shook my head, no.
i'd eat the whole
cake, i told her.
that's my weakness,
desserts. i'm sorry.
but i'll be lying in a
gutter with crumbs
all over my chest,
my belt unloosened,
and icing on my face
if i go to that
meeting. i can't
do it, my hand was
trembling just thinking
about it, and so i
moved the little umbrella
out of the way
and took a sip of
my drink.

No comments: