Thursday, October 14, 2010

three strangers

today, and this is a
completely true story,
while it was raining,
and i had a book tucked
under my arm as i walked
slowly across the street,
uncaring about how wet i
was getting, i
went into a coffee shop
got in line when a
woman came up next to me
and asked me, out of the blue
what i was reading.
what was that book
i had under my arm.
she had a patch on her eye,
she was old, and dirty
perhaps homeless. so i told
her. i told her
about the book, that
it was called the
blessings of brokeness.
and we spoke for a
few minutes and she
said. thank you.
i need that in my life.
bless you mister.
and as i left, crossing
the street a man
ran up to me, he stood
there, coming out of nowhere
and said, bless you, bless
you. he was wearing
a red torn shirt, soaked
with rain and before he
could ask for money,
i gave him some. God
bless you he said again.
and ran off.
then i walked across
the street and got
into my car, and within
seconds another man
was standing at my
window. he was bearded with
bright blue eyes, a
back pack on his back.
and he leaned towards my
cracked window and said.
have a blessed day, he
smiled and waved, again
not asking for anything,
he just felt some
strange urge to talk
with me. to say
something to me that
would reach my heart.
and when he walked
away i began cry and
realized how far i had
come this day and
wanted to stay there.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

three strangers and father and son are both very touching poems, steve. i am not so worried about you now. everything happens for a reason. when we see beyond what has happened, and find the reason, is when we grow.