Sunday, June 13, 2010

the long line

it was a long line
and yet i had to
get in and wait
my turn. the hours
turned into days,
and the days into
seasons. luckily
i brought a change
of clothes as the
weather went from
warm to cold, and
when the rains came
i had an umbrella.
slowly i inched
ahead in the line,
patiently awaiting
my turn. i even had
a sandwich or two
in my pocket. some
mints, a cookie, a
bottle of water.
as time went on
and the line grew
longer, i thought
i could see the front,
the back, but it
always seemed like
i was in the middle.
i read a book, i
counted the stars,
i lifted my spirits
by sleeping. my hair
went grey, my posture
suffered under the
weight of my bones.
i grew heavy in
the middle and my
eyes grew blurry, yet
i stayed in line.
i needed to know
what true love was,
i had heard so much
about it and was
willing to wait and wait
until it was my turn.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

this one took my breath away