Sunday, May 2, 2010

join the club

i belong to the bookstore
club now, i show my card
and get a discount
whenever i buy the next
horrible book by dan
brown. when i need milk,
two per cent or whole
from a cow, unlike soy,
i punch in my bonus
card and save a few
more pennies there.
the hotel is reduced
with a membership
card as well, and
i have a shoe club card
that eases the pain
and price of a new
pair of wing tips.
where i buy a sandwich,
smoked ham on rye with
swiss, they also want
me to be part of their
plan. after thirty
sandwiches i get one free
and a bag of chips,
and a coke. my credit
card offers exclusivity
to any number of deals
and products, like a pen
flashlight when a storm
arrives and knocks out
the power. for every
fill up of gas, i get
a penny or two. within
two years i will have
enough pennies to get
my one free gallon. when
i need a new button down
dress shirt to go out
on my date with shirley
who lives in triangle,
virginia, i show the
department store my card,
my special bonus laden
card and voila, i save
three dollars. having never
belonged to anything, i
have suddenly been swept
up into the gracious arms
of life and belong
to everything. i'm so happy
with all my club cards.

No comments: