Thursday, February 18, 2010

true love

when i was in the eighth
grade i had this girlfriend
named molly. she had bright
blonde hair, straight like
a dolls, and eyes as blue
and bright as was the april
sky outside those school windows.
i'd wait for her in the hallway,
to walk her to lunch. my
hands would be sweating,
my heart pumping, standing
there with my books, my
hair combed quickly back,
slick with that morning's
dab of brylcreem, my buttons
checked for proper
alignment and then the bell
would ring, and the class
would file out, and there
was molly, i'd take her
books, wipe my hand on my
pants and grip hers,
she was a head taller than
me, but i didn't care.
i loved her and imagined
our lives going on forever
and ever, until the end of
time. I'd walk her all
the way to the cafeteria
where i would sit beside her
at a long table and sip milk
from a straw and eat a bad
tuna sandwich my mother had
stuffed into a paper bag
with an apple. and molly
would sit there beside me,
eating carrots from a plastic
bag, and white bread with
the crust carefully cut off,
sitting perfectly still,
her back straight, smiling,
as if she knew something
i didn't know, as if she was
waiting for the world to
find her. this lasted about
two weeks before she found
jerry, who was tall and lean,
freckled and always had a cast
on his arm or hand from punching
kids like me on the playground.

No comments: