Wednesday, February 24, 2010

no horse to ride out on

it's a dry spell
here, the land
is coarse and brown,
my boots throw up dust,
and the slight wind
is soft. like a warm
whisper holding the sun's
breath. there is nothing
green as far as the eye
can see, no blue either,
but a white quilted sky
of long tired clouds.
the memory of water
sits like sand pebbles on
my parched tongue. nothing
is coming up the road,
or on the rails. this is
the way things end, slowly,
without rain, without
hope, with no horse
to ride out on.

1 comment:

lgsbowen said...

Captivating imagery. I particularly like:
wind like a warm whisper holding the sun's breath, the white quilted sky of long tired clouds, and the memory of water sits like sand pebbles on my tongue. I think this one needs to go in a hardback volume that people can buy at Barnes and Noble.