Friday, October 9, 2009

Bye Bye

Soon, she says, and winks,
soon, I'll be back. She has
an overnight bag in each hand
as she readies to board the train.
She kisses me on the cheek.
Light and brief, just a touch.
It's the kiss of death, the cheek
kiss. It signals we are friends,
nothing more, nothing less,
and the time we just spent
together is very much a thing
of the past. The kiss has said
more than any words could
convey. I understand though.
I see the light, or rather the dark
of what this relationship is. But
I'm good with that. It was fun
and I'm a very accepting person
when things come to an end.
It's all about shelf life. When it's
over and expired, it's over.
And as the train pulls away,
blowing it's whistle, easing out
of the station on the glistening
rail, and she gives me from
a narrow window a final
weak smile and wave, I put
the phone to my ear and try
to get Betty on the line, after all
it's friday, and it's still early.

1 comment:

sparrow said...

hmmmmm.i sense a reverse of role playing.