Wednesday, August 19, 2009

She Says Let's Talk

She says let's talk, 
then clears the kitchen table
of unopened mail, coffee cups, 
newspapers, a vase of dead flowers. 
She pulls out a chair and sits. 
I prefer to stand, 
take my medicine that way,
hang in the door with a cigarette, 
and a good morning Bloody Mary. 
I know what's coming, 
yet still feel my pulse increase,
the pressure rise. 
Sweat grows beneath my arms. 
I suddenly see that the stove 
needs cleaning, 
pots have spilled over, 
the floor needs a wash, a wax. 
Strips of wallpaper
have come loose 
at the edges and need paste.
The ceiling needs a fresh 
coat of paint, yellowed and chipped
from nicotine, bacon grease and age.
I can see myself fixing 
all of this some Saturday,
not this one, but one real soon. 
She becomes polite when she's angry.
The nicest person I've ever met. 
Her words are even, quiet, 
full of firm resolution. 
She's measuring each word 
to tell me something 
of great importance, something 
that will affect the both of us 
for a very long time.
I wait my turn, sipping my drink. 
I have the patience of Job.
I see water from the kitchen spigot 
drip in great slow drops into
the chrome drain full of dishes.
I know if given the time, 
just half a chance, 
that I can fix that too.

No comments: